Choosing the right fabric online is very necessary and important for sewing the garment. Sometimes it’s been observed that a wrong choice leads to unsuccessful venture. Another point we should always keep while purchasing the fabric online is the pairing of fabric along with its pattern or design. Chosen fabric should be based on the following properties like:-
- In terms of Weight
- In terms of stretch
- In terms of Drape
Therefore the above properties if present in a fabric, then it will compliment to the design of pattern.
How to choose Fabric for clothes?
While starting up a sewing project, we will begin with either one of two places that is either one could have fallen in love with a pattern and need a suitable fabric to complete it or we could have fallen in love with a sewing Fabric and need to find a suitable pattern to go with it.
Do we need to have a pattern?
Yes, most of the cases we do prefer to have an elegant and beguiling pattern on our desired fabric to give an outstanding and unique look. Patterns will tell and lets us know what type of fabric is designed for such pattern. No attempts of sewing arrest occur if there is any deviation in pattern along with the fabric. But at the initial term of sewing, sticking to the list of pattern should be maintained to get a better design.
Making the choice of colour of a fabric is the most important part to match up with the design to give it an elegant look. As colour offers the strongest impact on the purchaser while purchasing and even it helps us for selection too.
- Colour is the single most eye catching element that should always be chosen properly so that no regrets occur after purchasing and can live happily satisfied with the colour fabric obtained.
- Avoid delicately coloured fabrics and try to keep away from pets and children. Delicate colours are difficult to maintain and even some times hand wash can create a problem too.
- Considering the right colour also affects the temperature of the room along with the mood of the in-house person to cherish and enjoy the ambiance.
- Follow up trendy colours, as they step up with the upcoming style decors as well as new fashion modes of development.
- But trendy colours stay less, or they don’t have the permanency. These colours come and go so better to prefer traditional colours.
- Several special considerations are made regarding the choice of colour. And these selections are made depending upon the surrounding and the peripheral atmosphere. So let’s see what it includes :-
- Fade Resistance: If the fabrics we are purchasing have the following quality of fade resistance, then if the fabric placed in a closed or light filled area it will be prevented from getting faded.
- Mildew Resistance: For humid areas that foster mildew, this mildew resistance should be maintained among the fabric property.
- Allergies: Certain fabrics such as microfiber for certain allergies is used as they are lint free and do not attract dust that may aid to allergic reactions.
- To protect it from Pets: Usually to protect from pets usually silk material is avoided.
So it has been suggested to provide leather material to use as they prevent from claw scratch, dirt stains easy removal and higher resistant towards protection. Microfiber is a synthetic fabric which is also sometimes used as a pet resistant material.
Usually according to the type of fabric the size varies. For example if we take an stretchable fabric with a cotton one then we can find that stretchable Fabric is taken a size smaller than that of the cotton fabric. Usually the size varies.
- How to measure fabric for clothing?
- For skirt and blouse it takes about 1.5 yards of fabric.
- For two piece suits it takes about 3-6 yards of fabric.
- For a complete dress or a gown it takes about 4-6 yards.
- How to measure fabric for Upholstery?
- For cushion of a chair it takes about 1-1.5 yards of fabric
- For small or medium sized sofa it takes about 6-8 yards of fabric.
- For a large sofa it takes about 13 yards of fabric.
- Throw pillows require about 1 yard of fabric.
- How to measure others?
- Small hand bags require half a yard of fabric, larger we need ¾ yards of fabric.
- For Duvets they need 5-10 yards of fabric
- For bed, bed pillows need 1-1.5 yards of fabric
- For car interiors need 15 yards of fabric
- Scarves need very little yards of fabric or maximum up to 1 yard of fabric.
So we all know that the measurement is given above of all the segments that we need for daily use.
(1 yard =36inches.)
Usually the price is variable according to the texture and the material of the fabric. Raw silk fabric is comparatively higher priced, while the cotton and satin are comparatively lesser priced. Raw Wool fibre fabric is also expensive as it is not used throughout the year. Rayon, linen is also expensive as they are more used for decoration purposes.
So let’s look forward to the types and the variety of garments available for clothing and other purposes.
- Cotton Voile: It is a light weight, great drape with a semi sheer fabric.
- Cotton Lawn: It is very similar to the previous cotton voile but is slightly crispy.
- Rayon: It is smooth, light weight, drapes well, and slightly heavier than the cotton voile and cotton lawn fabrics.
- Chambray: It is another smooth, light weight fabric but it does not drape well like rayon and others.
- Denim: It is a heavy weight fabric with slight stretch but very little or no drape.
- Double Gaze: Unique fabric, with two layers of woven gauze in it. They are extremely light resistance and breathable. Generally preferred for clothing.
- Knit: They generally comprise of light weight to medium weight, varying mostly with the designs and embroidery patterned in the fabric material.
- Silk: Silk is a lightweight material, having shimmery appearance, slightly slippery so difficult to work. But it has the quality of lining fabric.
- Satin: It varies from light weight to heavy weight texture, along with the quality of glossy appearance.
- Linen: Medium weight fabric, mainly offers good conduction of heat, with less elasticity and popular choice for warm weather clothing.
- Wool: Usually from 40 different breeds of sheep wool is obtained from 200 different types of countries and characteristics of warm wearing, hard use and versatile.
- Flannel: Soft, light weight fabric, used mainly for clothing purpose.
Therefore this way we can categorise fabric on the basis of texture, size, price and type and then make our decision and choice suitable for buying fabric online for any purpose involved.
Be First to Comment